Windows 10 has a feature that displays trending searches in the search bar of the taskbar. While this may be useful for some users, others may find it distracting or unnecessary. If you fall into the latter category, don’t worry – there is a way to disable this feature. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to turn off trending searches in Windows 10.
What are trending searches?
Before we dive into the steps, let’s first understand what trending searches are. Trending searches are popular search terms that are displayed in the search bar of the taskbar in Windows 10. These searches are based on your location and are constantly updated to reflect the most popular search terms in your area.
Why disable trending searches?
While some users may find trending searches helpful, others may find them distracting or unnecessary. Additionally, if you are concerned about your privacy, you may not want your search terms to be displayed for others to see. Whatever your reason may be, if you want to disable trending searches, follow the steps below.
Steps to disable trending searches
- Open the Start menu and click on the “Settings” icon (the gear icon).
- In the Settings menu, click on “Personalization.”
- On the left side of the screen, click on “Start.”
- On the right side of the screen, toggle off the option that says “Show suggestions occasionally in Start.”
- Close the Settings menu and check the search bar in your taskbar – the trending searches should no longer be displayed.
Additional steps for disabling Cortana
If you have Cortana enabled on your Windows 10 device, you may also need to disable it in order to completely turn off trending searches. Follow these additional steps to disable Cortana:
- Right-click on the taskbar and select “Cortana.”
- In the menu that appears, select “Hidden.”
- If prompted, click on “Yes” to confirm.
- Cortana should now be disabled and the trending searches should no longer appear in your search bar.
Re-enabling trending searches
If you change your mind and want to re-enable trending searches, simply follow the steps above and toggle the “Show suggestions occasionally in Start” option back on. Additionally, if you want to re-enable Cortana, follow the steps above and select “Show Cortana button” instead of “Hidden.”
Disabling trending searches in Windows 10 is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. Whether you find them distracting or are concerned about your privacy, now you know how to turn off this feature. Give it a try and see if it improves your Windows 10 experience.
Have you disabled trending searches? Did you find this article helpful? Let us know in the comments.