Everyone uses the laptop to do work, but there are many benefits of a laptop by which you can get the benefit. One of them is you can use your laptop as the second monitor. Do you know how to use a laptop as a monitor? If not, in this tutorial, we are going to explain the different methods to use the laptop as a monitor in Windows 7, 8, or 10.
It’s certainly not an easy process, but we’ve tried to keep it as short and easy as possible. If you’re not a techie, there’s nothing to worry about. Plus, you don’t need any technical information, just a simple basic idea about your system will be perfect.
If you are thinking of connecting your PC to your laptop using the HDMI cable, this is not the right way. Since it will only put your computer screen on the laptop, but the video will not work as input for another device.
In this tutorial, there are 3 different ways to use your laptop as the second monitor. Follow the tutorial to use your laptop as a (secondary screen) monitor in Windows.
Use Laptop as Secondary Monitor in Windows
Method 1: Using Miracast on MS Windows (OS)
Miracast is a built-in application That comes in the latest version of MS Windows OS. But you need to configure it before you can use the laptop to connect as a monitor.
Follow the below steps to use the laptop as a monitor.
1. Go to Start Menu and click on the Setting
2. From the left icon list press on “System Icon”
3. Find “Projecting to this PC” on the left menu option and click on it.
4. To allow other items to project on it, change the first drop down menu to “Available everywhere”
5. Make changes according to your requirements.
* Note: If you are getting a red error message that says, “Projecting on this PC. We are still trying to determine the capabilities of the feature.” Read this thread on the Microsoft Help Forums for possible solutions. I had to go to my Device Manager and install and install the Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter to remove this error message and give me the option to set “Projecting to this PC“.
This is everything you need to make it compatible for use with secondary monitors on your laptop. Now let’s get to the computer settings that need to be connected.
- Open Task Bar on right bottom corner and click on Notification Icon
- Now Select the “Connect” option from the Notification options. (if not show connect option press “expand”. It will display all option)
- Your main PC will show available devices to connect to the screen. Select the PC which you want to display as monitor.
- To accept the connection request, check your laptop and accept the request.
- Right-click on the PC desktop and select “Display Settings“
- Change the “Multiple display” from the display menu section to “Extend desktop to this display“
- Then, properly organize your desktop and laptop display by dragging and dropping the display icons at the top of the “Display Settings” screen.
- You have successfully set up your laptop as a monitor.
Now, you can easily use another monitor to view multiple documents at the same time. And, perform several other actions to suit your requirements.
Some compatibility issues with Miracast
May be someone find difficulty using Miracast. I had trouble connecting to my laptop using Miracast because it uses of Intel HD graphics, and since my system has a graphics card dedicated to it, I couldn’t make it work.
Your desktop PC will also need to use a wireless connection to connect the laptop. Since I use an Ethernet connection, and it does not have Wi-Fi mounted, I must use a wireless adapter to use my laptop as an additional display.
Method 2: Using Third Party Application
If you are not satisfied with the Miracast service, you can try another third-party application on the web that serves similar purposes. Here, we’re using one of the most popular tools named “Space Desk.”
To use the Space Desk, you need to download the Space Desk Drive software on your primary system and the Space Desk Viewer software on the laptop that you want to use as an extended display for your primary system.
Instead of giving you a step-by-step list of how to set up a space desk, you can watch this video on YouTube channel Pierre Crew.
To run this application on the primary PC as well as the secondary monitor, the system needs specific requirements.
For Primary PC
- Windows 7,8, or 10
- Graphics adapter Intel/Nvidia/AMD.
- WDDM 1.1 or greater
- DirectX 9 or Greater
For Secondary Monitor
- Windows 7,8 or 10
- DirectX 10
- DirectX WARP (Min. 512MB RAM / CPU 800 MHz)
Follow these steps in your primary PC and laptop as mentioned
- Install the Space Desk Drive software on your primary PC and Space Desk Viewer on secondary PC.
- Make sure that both systems are connected to same Wifi or LAN network
- Go to menu and click application to launch.
- System will automatically detect your main computer and show in the list
- Select the main system and click on Connect
- You are connected to your main PC.
Note: If your PC is not listed in the application, you can try another process that doesn’t require an Internet connection.
- Open the link “Space Desk HTML Viewer” in Browser of your laptop
- You will be asked to enter the Internet Protocol (IP) Address of your main computer
- To find the IP address you can simply launch the application on your main PC and IP address is displayed there.
- Copy the IP Address and paste it on your laptop screen asking for IP Address and click on Connect
- Your laptop can be used as a secondary monitor.
Method 3: Connect your laptop remotely to your Desktop
Another option that you may prefer is to use your laptop’s display (and its keyboard, mouse, trackpad) to control the other laptop. Of course, this is different than using your laptop as a monitor, instead you will be using your laptop to gain full control over your main PC. And, if you want your laptop to access your main desktop system. If looking, this is the way.
TeamViewer is a third-party application that makes it incredibly easy to control your desktop from your laptop (or another system from another device).
Connecting your laptop remotely to your desktop is a straightforward process that can be completed with several third-party programs. I use TeamViever because it’s a pretty straight forward process. You can also use “AnyDesk” for this purpose.
How to Use Your Laptop Remotely to Control Your Desktop PC
- Go to TeamViewer website and download the latest version in your laptop as well as in Desktop.
- Once TeamViewer is downloaded, install it on both systems.
- Get the TeamViewer ID for your main computer.
- Launch TeamViewer in your Laptop
- Take the TeamViewer ID and Password and enter into main computer TeamViewer application.
- Press Log on
- You are now able to control your laptop from your desktop system
Use “Steam Remote Play” to your laptop from desktop for Streaming Games
For gaming-specific purposes, you can play Steam games on your laptop using the Steam‘s internal streaming option from your desktop. It can also apply. If you want to play games in my bed, or somewhere outside my office (where my desktop is located), you can use this feature a little.
This is also useful because if your laptop is not strong enough to play the most demanding games and you have a desktop, you can still play these more demanding games on your laptop by streaming from your desktop. Are. So, for example, I have a 5-year-old laptop with a very weak GPU, and I can still play games like Witcher 3 on it if I stream it from my desktop.
The drawbacks are that you may see a delay in your games, which can make playing competitive games more difficult through home streaming.
But, if you want to try In-Home streaming from your desktop to your laptop, here’s how you set it up.
- Open Steam on both systems and do login using the same account
- In your laptop, click on the game in your library you want to play
- Instead of clicking “Play”, click on Drop-down menu arrow next to the “Play” select “Stream From…”.
- Then click “Stream”
Your laptop will now start streaming the game from your desktop and you can use your laptop keyboard and mouse controller to play the game.
Benefits of Using a Secondary Screen
As we already understand and want to make your laptop a second monitor. The only question that arises is why most users are doing this work in their workplace, especially those who work from home. Let’s look at the benefits you can get from it if you aren’t sure about this setup.
- Use of multiple programs
The basic idea is to use various software, games, documents, videos, and more at the same time. It looks fantastic when you can easily drag files from one PC to another. Some people have a work schedule that involves researching and working multiple topics together.
For instance, a content writer needs to switch between multiple tabs and windows to write the content, and this process makes it easier to do its tasks. Plus, if you need to watch a video and keep an eye on your mail, this might be it. Many YouTubers, gamers, and many people love this setup.
- Productivity increases
It doesn’t matter what profession you are in or whatever position you hold in a company. Having multiple screens will speed up your workflow and increase productivity, as well. The individual working as a freelancer can undoubtedly benefit from this. Proper setup can work in the office with the best system. You can also pair your smartphones or tablets using third-party applications.
- For digital marketers
Well, in the long run, dual screens have a massive advantage over marketers. Sharing media files, posting updates, keeping track of stats, and everything have been made easier. Even it offers the benefit of sharing data across multiple platforms through a single drag and drop and can be done quickly. Multitask is now simplified, and there is no doubt about it.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, there are many other benefits, but make sure you have a compatible system that allows excellent performance on the secondary system.
You can also use many other KVM software or third-party applications to install multiple monitors on your laptop and primary PC. Some are very well-known Input Director, ShareMouse and more. They all have the same purpose, but there is a slightly different way of adjusting the system as needed.