Microsoft Edge is a popular web browser that comes pre-installed on Windows 10. While it offers a fast and efficient browsing experience, some users may find it annoying when the browser automatically opens on startup. This can slow down the performance of your computer and also consume unnecessary resources. In this article, we will discuss how to stop Microsoft Edge from opening on startup and improve your overall browsing experience.
Why Does Microsoft Edge Open On Startup?
Before we dive into the solution, it is important to understand why Microsoft Edge opens on startup in the first place. By default, Windows 10 has a feature called “Fast Startup” enabled, which is designed to reduce the time it takes for your computer to boot up. This feature saves the current state of your computer to a hibernation file, allowing it to start up faster. However, this also means that any applications that were open when you shut down your computer will automatically open when you turn it back on, including Microsoft Edge.
Disable Microsoft Edge From Opening On Startup
To stop Microsoft Edge from opening on startup, follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on the three dots in the top right corner of the browser.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- In the Settings menu, click on “Advanced” from the left-hand side panel.
- Scroll down to the “System” section and toggle off the option that says “Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed.”
- Close Microsoft Edge and restart your computer.
This will prevent Microsoft Edge from automatically opening on startup. However, if you want to completely disable the Fast Startup feature, follow these additional steps:
- Open the Control Panel and click on “Power Options.”
- Click on “Choose what the power buttons do” from the left-hand side panel.
- Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”
- Scroll down to the “Shutdown settings” section and uncheck the box next to “Turn on fast startup.”
- Click on “Save changes” and restart your computer.
Improve Edge Performance
In addition to stopping Microsoft Edge from opening on startup, there are a few other steps you can take to improve its performance. These include:
- Clearing your browsing history, cookies, and cache regularly.
- Disabling unnecessary extensions and add-ons.
- Keeping your browser and Windows 10 up to date.
- Using a reliable antivirus software to scan for any potential threats.
By following these simple steps, you can stop Microsoft Edge from opening on startup and improve its overall performance. This will not only save you time and resources, but also provide a smoother browsing experience. If you have any other tips or tricks for optimizing Microsoft Edge, feel free to share them in the comments below.
Have you tried any of these methods? Did they work for you? Let us know in the comments.