Do you have a long video that you need to shorten for a presentation or social media post? Or maybe you want to save space on your computer by compressing your videos? Whatever the reason, learning How to shorten videos on windows 10 can be a useful skill to have.
In this article, we’ll explore different methods for shortening videos on Windows 10, including video compression and optimization techniques. By the end, you’ll have the knowledge and tools to easily shorten your videos on Windows 10.
Why Shorten Videos on Windows 10?
There are several reasons why you may want to shorten videos on Windows 10. Some common reasons include:
- Reducing the file size of a video to save space on your computer or device
- Compressing a video for faster upload and download times
- Creating a shorter version of a longer video for a presentation or social media post
- Optimizing a video for a specific platform or device
No matter the reason, learning how to shorten videos on Windows 10 can help you achieve your goals efficiently and effectively.
Video Compression vs. Video Optimization
Before we dive into the methods for shortening videos on Windows 10, it’s important to understand the difference between video compression and video optimization.
Video compression is the process of reducing the file size of a video by removing unnecessary data. This can be achieved through various techniques, such as reducing the resolution, frame rate, or bit rate of the video.
Compressing a video can help save space on your computer or device, as well as make it easier and faster to upload and download. However, it can also result in a decrease in video quality.
Video optimization, on the other hand, is the process of preparing a video for a specific platform or device. This can include adjusting the video’s resolution, aspect ratio, and file format to ensure it is compatible and optimized for the platform or device it will be viewed on.
Optimizing a video can help improve its quality and ensure it is displayed correctly on different devices and platforms. However, it may not necessarily reduce the file size of the video.
How to Shorten Videos on Windows 10
Now that we understand the difference between video compression and optimization, let’s explore different methods for shortening videos on Windows 10.
Using Video Editing Software
One of the most common ways to shorten videos on Windows 10 is by using video editing software. There are many free and paid options available, such as Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Filmora.
To shorten a video using video editing software, follow these steps:
- Open the video editing software on your Windows 10 computer.
- Import the video you want to shorten into the software.
- Use the timeline or trim tool to select the portion of the video you want to keep.
- Delete the remaining parts of the video.
- Save the shortened video.
Using video editing software allows you to have more control over the editing process and can result in a higher quality video. However, it may require more time and effort compared to other methods.
Using Online Video Shortening Tools
If you don’t have access to video editing software or prefer a quicker and easier method, you can use online video shortening tools. These tools allow you to upload your video, select the portion you want to keep, and download the shortened version.
Some popular online video shortening tools include Clideo, Kapwing, and Online Video Cutter. These tools are free to use and can be accessed from any device with an internet connection.
Using Video Compression Software
Another way to shorten videos on Windows 10 is by using video compression software. This type of software is specifically designed to reduce the file size of videos while maintaining their quality.
Some popular video compression software options include HandBrake, Any Video Converter, and Freemake Video Converter. These tools allow you to adjust the resolution, frame rate, and bit rate of your video to reduce its file size.
Using Built-in Windows 10 Features
If you don’t want to download any additional software, you can use built-in Windows 10 features to shorten your videos. The Photos app and the built-in video editor in the Photos app both have basic video editing capabilities.
To shorten a video using the Photos app, follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app on your Windows 10 computer.
- Click on the “Create” button at the top of the screen.
- Select “Video project” from the drop-down menu.
- Import the video you want to shorten into the project.
- Use the trim tool to select the portion of the video you want to keep.
- Save the shortened video.
Using built-in Windows 10 features is a convenient and free option for shortening videos. However, it may not have as many advanced features as dedicated video editing software.
Tips for Shortening Videos on Windows 10
No matter which method you choose to shorten your videos on Windows 10, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Always save a copy of the original video before making any edits.
- Consider the purpose of the video and the platform or device it will be viewed on when deciding how much to shorten it.
- Use high-quality video compression software to maintain the video’s quality.
- Test the shortened video on different devices and platforms to ensure it is optimized for each one.
Shortening videos on Windows 10 can be useful for a variety of reasons, such as saving space, improving upload and download times, and optimizing for specific platforms or devices. By using video editing software, online tools, or built-in Windows 10 features, you can easily shorten your videos and achieve your goals. Remember to always save a copy of the original video and test the shortened version on different devices and platforms for the best results.