The PS4 is the most popular choice among game lovers, and how to set it up with a laptop screen is the most asked question. Initially, you set PS4 console with the LED display, but some like to use it through a laptop screen. There are two ways you can connect your PS4 with a laptop and enjoy your gaming anywhere to the fullest. To establish a secure connection between your PS4 and laptop, you need the right tools and apps. Here I will guide you through both methods in easy detail, so you get the maximum experience out of your PS4 gaming.
Play PS4 on laptop screen with HDMI
The first method involves the HDMI port, which is the best option when dealing with gaming because it provides excellent sound quality and better visual performance. You see, there is an HDMI port both on the laptop and PS4 console, but connecting the two is not easy. You should know that an HDMI port is a unidirectional connection, not a bidirectional. The most laptop offers one output port meaning it only displays laptop’s content to external peripherals.
In case your laptop has two HDMI, both input and output, which is highly unlikely, then you only need a DVI-D male video adapter with a DVI cable. This cable lets you stream PS4 gaming onto your laptop screen but without audio. You can resolve the audio issues by connecting a pair of PS4 speakers, and you need to have enabled output sound settings for it to function correctly.
In most scenarios, both PS4 and laptop have a video output source but not the input, and for that, you will need a video capture card. It is a device that connects through a USB port to your laptop, and it converts video signals into digital data and records it. For this device to work, connect both your laptop and PS4 console with it through the HDMI port. Most importantly, make sure you have a stable internet connection before setting it all up. Then follow these steps:
- First, you need to enable the File Sharing feature, and for that, go to the PS4 menu and then to Settings.
- Next, locate Network settings, and in this section, click on Internet connection settings.
- Look for your router name and select it to set up a connection.
- In case of a non-wireless connection, connect both your PS4 and laptop to the same internet router through Ethernet cables.
- After establishing a connection between both of your devices, you need to connect a video capture card to the laptop.
- Connect it through a USB port and install software that comes with it.
- The next step includes a connection between the PS4 console and video capture card, and for that, it needs an S-video connection cable.
- Once you get the cable, take the HDMI-IN and connect to the capture card. Attach the other side, HDMI-OUT, to the PS4 console.
- Open the video capture card software and establish a connection with the PS4 console.
- It will ask for confirmation and display your PS4 on your laptop screen.
- Use the application in full screen, so you get a better view with high resolution and enjoy your gaming anywhere you want.
Connect PS4 remotely to a laptop screen
In another way, you don’t need to go through the hassle of the HDMI port and the capture card to connect the console with a laptop screen because you can connect it remotely. It allows more flexibility in gaming, and you can sit comfortably at any distance and enjoy your gameplay.
To set up a remote play feature, you need to have a fast internet speed of at least 15Mbps for it to work properly without lagging. Also, if you want to connect your controller wirelessly, make sure to buy DUALSHOCK 4 USB wireless adaptor, or you can connect with a USB cable.
- You can attach your controller either by USB cable to your laptop or connect it through a wireless adapter.
- To pair the controller wirelessly, attach the adapter and hold it in for 3-4 seconds in position.
- Hold down the share and circular buttons on the controller till the light bar starts flashing.
- It will take a few seconds in pairing and then ready to use.
Before setting it up with a laptop, you need to connect the console with an LCD or screen to configure the remote setting. By doing so, you will not need an HDMI cable for connection, connect the console with power cable, and you will be able to play remotely. To do that, follow these instructions:
- Go to the PlayStation homepage and open up the settings. Scroll down the menu and select remote play connection settings.
- In this section, check the box in front of enabling remote play.
- Scroll back up and locate the Account management section and click on it
- In this menu, go to Activate as your primary PS4. Click on activate to select your PS4 as your primary option in case you own multiple.
- One more thing you need to do is, go back to the settings menu and scroll down to the power save settings.
- Click on the set features available in rest mode and check the box in front of Stay connected to the internet. It allows the console to stay in rest mode, and you can activate it by pressing a button on the controller.
Once the desired remote play settings are set up in the console, you are ready to connect it with your laptop. To set up your PS4 remotely to your laptop, follow these steps:
- The first thing you need is the PS4 desktop app. Go to the Sony Remote Play app website, and from there, you can download the latest version for your Windows or Mac.
- This software allows you to play your PS4 games on your laptop.
- Run the installer and complete the installation process.
- Once installed, run the PS4 remote play software. It opens up a pop-up box and then goes to Open Preferences before clicking Start,
- The preferences box allows you to configure the settings that work best for your laptop and according to your internet connection.
- After selecting the preferred setting, click on Start, which will lead you to enter your PlayStation id.
- Sign-in will take roughly five minutes, and it will automatically connect with your console. You only need to attach your PS4 console to a power cable and let it establish a connection on its own in rest mode.
- Once the app opens, it is ready to use, and you can control every action through your controller.
After playing, you can power off by pressing down the home/PlayStation button on the controller, which leads you to the settings menu. Next, go to the power setting and then select rest mode. This option will put the PS4 into sleep mode, and your connection will terminate. By choosing the rest mode option, it lets you play the game again by just opening the app. If you choose the power off, it will turn off your console, and you have to walk up to it to power it on for your next game session.
In this, you have seen the best two methods for connecting your PS4 to your laptop. Connecting through HDMI is a bit hassle and pricey, but it gives a fantastic result. The remote play connection needs lots of setup procedures but provides convenience and flexibility in gaming. You should choose what works best for you and have the most fun at gaming.
Product images reference: Amazon.com